Skip to main content

Treasures


High tide by Kristye Addison Dudley

Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be. (Matthew 6:21 NLT)


This was my scripture reading this morning and it made me think, what do I treasure?

I remember when I got my first job, I was driven by my career, buying my first car, owning my first home, and looking the part of a successful put-together gal. I used to regularly get my hair, nails and eyebrows done. I shopped like it was a part-time job.

Then one day I decided that I didn't want to spend anymore of my time in a salon. So I cut off my hair (really all of my hair). Then slowly but surely, I began to distance myself from the material things and "some" of the vanity.

Now I get my nails and eyebrows done on special occasions. The cars and properties have come and gone and come again and represent more of a necessity than before.

During our vacation I had one opportunity to reflect on the trip in pen and watercolor. I sketched KJ picking shells on the beach, the view from our balcony and the beach at high tide. It made me really focus on the beauty around me especially when all I could see was the vast ocean.

But what is it that I treasure? My family, my husband and my children are my treasures, but isn't there something missing?

When God isn't the first thing I treasure, the other things just don't shine as bright. I can't appreciate my family, or even this little life that I am carrying around. The smallest thing can distract me from my joy and past hurts creep to the surface like fresh wounds. When I am not focused on him things are just out of whack. I am so thankful for that scripture this morning, to remind me what's truly important.

What is it that you treasure?


Be blessed,
Kristye
kristye.com
dorilam.com
kdudley@dorilam.com
Purchase originals and prints

Popular posts from this blog

A family update. Mark has orders and this summer we are moving to the DMV (DC/Maryland/Virginia). We’ve found a rental home in Sterling, Virginia and have already signed the kids up for summer activities. I’m so excited to be closer to family! We have enjoyed our time here in Ohio, made some new memories, and new friends. I’m going to miss it here. Kristye.com   My Blog Purchase originals and prints   kdudley@kristye.com Twitter @KristyeStudio Tweet @KristyeStudio Like and share My Facebook Page Kristye's Studio    

Today is a gift

There are so many moments in our lives where we question why things happen. There have been times where I wondered "how did I get here?" and "why me?". I have been reflecting on this year, my relationships, my hopes and dreams. I have had the opportunity to see many of my dreams come true. I am married to a wonderful man. I have been blessed with a spunky little girl. I am able to not only create art, but to walk, paint, laugh and share my life with wonderful family and friends. In the picture above, I am standing with one if my childhood idols. Yep, we are the same age, but Keasha was always two or three steps ahead and without her knowing made a path for me. We met in high school at a science and engineering camp at Clemson University. She was so pretty and smart. She graduated from high school a year early, and then majored in engineering. She had her own car, I couldn't even drive yet, and a personalized license plate that some how spelled QT-PIE. ...

What a Difference A Year Makes

What a difference a year makes. Picking Pumpkins with the family Work in progress of watercolor flowers. Fall is one of my favorite times of the year and I usually plan for our family to visit farms, pick pumpkins, decorate the house, cook treats, and enjoy the cooler weather. This time last year, I was two weeks post-op from a very unexpected surgery. This year I am so thankful of where this year has taken us. I am feeling more like myself, I am talking some great art classes. My kids are back in school, playing sports, and making friends. I have made friends too. Hard to believe we will be moving again next year, but until then we will enjoy each day. Kristye.com