Skip to main content

A Southern View

At Ease © Kristye Addison Dudley
There are a few things about living in the south that are often talked about, but there are hidden rules that we abide by too. One of those things happened to me last week. In the south, we pull over for funeral processions.

I remember growing up and seeing the cars go by and not understanding why we stopped and pulled over on the side of the road. My mother would say, we are showing our respect to the family who lost someone. I never really asked why, I just learned this was how it was done.

This week while I was grabbing lunch, I saw a procession coming my way so I pulled over to the side of the road. I was kind of in a hurry, with a long list of things to-do, but for those few moments, I took some time to pay my respects to a family who had lost a loved one. I didn't know the family, but I have felt the loss. I took time to pray for them and for my family.

So in the South, we do lots of strange things. As a matter of fact we do a lot of things really wrong. We have a history filled with turmoil and hate. We are polorized on just about everything except for football and grits. But there are somethings about being southern that I really like. We smile at strangers, children learn to say "yes mam" and "yes sir" and we sometimes slow down long enough to see our neighbors as ourselves.

Luke 6:31
Do to others as you would have them do to you

Kristye

kdudley@dorilam.com
kristye.com
dorilam.com
Like me on Facebook

Popular posts from this blog

A family update. Mark has orders and this summer we are moving to the DMV (DC/Maryland/Virginia). We’ve found a rental home in Sterling, Virginia and have already signed the kids up for summer activities. I’m so excited to be closer to family! We have enjoyed our time here in Ohio, made some new memories, and new friends. I’m going to miss it here. Kristye.com   My Blog Purchase originals and prints   kdudley@kristye.com Twitter @KristyeStudio Tweet @KristyeStudio Like and share My Facebook Page Kristye's Studio    

Today is a gift

There are so many moments in our lives where we question why things happen. There have been times where I wondered "how did I get here?" and "why me?". I have been reflecting on this year, my relationships, my hopes and dreams. I have had the opportunity to see many of my dreams come true. I am married to a wonderful man. I have been blessed with a spunky little girl. I am able to not only create art, but to walk, paint, laugh and share my life with wonderful family and friends. In the picture above, I am standing with one if my childhood idols. Yep, we are the same age, but Keasha was always two or three steps ahead and without her knowing made a path for me. We met in high school at a science and engineering camp at Clemson University. She was so pretty and smart. She graduated from high school a year early, and then majored in engineering. She had her own car, I couldn't even drive yet, and a personalized license plate that some how spelled QT-PIE. ...

What a Difference A Year Makes

What a difference a year makes. Picking Pumpkins with the family Work in progress of watercolor flowers. Fall is one of my favorite times of the year and I usually plan for our family to visit farms, pick pumpkins, decorate the house, cook treats, and enjoy the cooler weather. This time last year, I was two weeks post-op from a very unexpected surgery. This year I am so thankful of where this year has taken us. I am feeling more like myself, I am talking some great art classes. My kids are back in school, playing sports, and making friends. I have made friends too. Hard to believe we will be moving again next year, but until then we will enjoy each day. Kristye.com