Skip to main content

I Don't Believe He Brought Me This Far

 Commission for Mo'Nique (Oscar award winner) © Kristye Addison Dudley
Tonight I took some time to update my list of exhibits, collectors and charitable events. I was shocked when I saw them all together. I have really had some great experiences, met some wonderful people and have had the opportunity to share my heart.

This is one of those divine things that happened to me. My first solo show was in 2002. I was so excited that I sold a large painting. I was walking on cloud nine and trying to learn more about how to become a "real" professional artist while pursuing my graphic design career.

While delivering my first sale, my collector was in a meeting with a customer, but he told me to come and bring my book. He invited me in and introduced me to his customer. I was so surprised to see that it was Mo'Nique! She's a comedian, and won an Oscar for her supporting role in "Precious". She liked the work I was delivering and asked to see my work. 

She looked through my portfolio and said, "I'd like this painting, in these colors. How much is it and can I have it in two weeks?". I simply said the amount and that I could do it in two weeks and that a deposit could be paid by check.

This painting holds a very special place in my heart, but I still sometimes forget about these milestones I have had along the way. I find myself looking back and focusing on my mistakes and my mishaps as failures, when really they are just stepping stones. After all of those "failures" was a triumph. There were people around me to lift me up and encourage me. There was a cheering section of family and peers to remind me that the road was winding but not ending.

I am so thankful for the friends that God has put into my life. And for the angels that watch over me and my family everyday. "I Don't Believe He Brought Me This Far to Leave Me", great things are in store.

Kristye

kdudley@dorilam.com
kristyeaddison.com




Popular posts from this blog

A family update. Mark has orders and this summer we are moving to the DMV (DC/Maryland/Virginia). We’ve found a rental home in Sterling, Virginia and have already signed the kids up for summer activities. I’m so excited to be closer to family! We have enjoyed our time here in Ohio, made some new memories, and new friends. I’m going to miss it here. Kristye.com   My Blog Purchase originals and prints   kdudley@kristye.com Twitter @KristyeStudio Tweet @KristyeStudio Like and share My Facebook Page Kristye's Studio    

Today is a gift

There are so many moments in our lives where we question why things happen. There have been times where I wondered "how did I get here?" and "why me?". I have been reflecting on this year, my relationships, my hopes and dreams. I have had the opportunity to see many of my dreams come true. I am married to a wonderful man. I have been blessed with a spunky little girl. I am able to not only create art, but to walk, paint, laugh and share my life with wonderful family and friends. In the picture above, I am standing with one if my childhood idols. Yep, we are the same age, but Keasha was always two or three steps ahead and without her knowing made a path for me. We met in high school at a science and engineering camp at Clemson University. She was so pretty and smart. She graduated from high school a year early, and then majored in engineering. She had her own car, I couldn't even drive yet, and a personalized license plate that some how spelled QT-PIE. ...

What a Difference A Year Makes

What a difference a year makes. Picking Pumpkins with the family Work in progress of watercolor flowers. Fall is one of my favorite times of the year and I usually plan for our family to visit farms, pick pumpkins, decorate the house, cook treats, and enjoy the cooler weather. This time last year, I was two weeks post-op from a very unexpected surgery. This year I am so thankful of where this year has taken us. I am feeling more like myself, I am talking some great art classes. My kids are back in school, playing sports, and making friends. I have made friends too. Hard to believe we will be moving again next year, but until then we will enjoy each day. Kristye.com