Treasures


High tide by Kristye Addison Dudley

Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be. (Matthew 6:21 NLT)


This was my scripture reading this morning and it made me think, what do I treasure?

I remember when I got my first job, I was driven by my career, buying my first car, owning my first home, and looking the part of a successful put-together gal. I used to regularly get my hair, nails and eyebrows done. I shopped like it was a part-time job.

Then one day I decided that I didn't want to spend anymore of my time in a salon. So I cut off my hair (really all of my hair). Then slowly but surely, I began to distance myself from the material things and "some" of the vanity.

Now I get my nails and eyebrows done on special occasions. The cars and properties have come and gone and come again and represent more of a necessity than before.

During our vacation I had one opportunity to reflect on the trip in pen and watercolor. I sketched KJ picking shells on the beach, the view from our balcony and the beach at high tide. It made me really focus on the beauty around me especially when all I could see was the vast ocean.

But what is it that I treasure? My family, my husband and my children are my treasures, but isn't there something missing?

When God isn't the first thing I treasure, the other things just don't shine as bright. I can't appreciate my family, or even this little life that I am carrying around. The smallest thing can distract me from my joy and past hurts creep to the surface like fresh wounds. When I am not focused on him things are just out of whack. I am so thankful for that scripture this morning, to remind me what's truly important.

What is it that you treasure?


Be blessed,
Kristye
kristye.com
dorilam.com
kdudley@dorilam.com
Purchase originals and prints

Popular Posts