A Southern View

At Ease © Kristye Addison Dudley
There are a few things about living in the south that are often talked about, but there are hidden rules that we abide by too. One of those things happened to me last week. In the south, we pull over for funeral processions.

I remember growing up and seeing the cars go by and not understanding why we stopped and pulled over on the side of the road. My mother would say, we are showing our respect to the family who lost someone. I never really asked why, I just learned this was how it was done.

This week while I was grabbing lunch, I saw a procession coming my way so I pulled over to the side of the road. I was kind of in a hurry, with a long list of things to-do, but for those few moments, I took some time to pay my respects to a family who had lost a loved one. I didn't know the family, but I have felt the loss. I took time to pray for them and for my family.

So in the South, we do lots of strange things. As a matter of fact we do a lot of things really wrong. We have a history filled with turmoil and hate. We are polorized on just about everything except for football and grits. But there are somethings about being southern that I really like. We smile at strangers, children learn to say "yes mam" and "yes sir" and we sometimes slow down long enough to see our neighbors as ourselves.

Luke 6:31
Do to others as you would have them do to you

Kristye

kdudley@dorilam.com
kristye.com
dorilam.com
Like me on Facebook

Popular Posts