7 things you don't know about me


My dream car 1958 Corvette
Ok, so one of my friends on Facebook posted this list of things people didn't know about him, the viewer was to then post the numbers that they knew and then you were given a number to make your own list. He gave me the number 7. 
So here are 7 things most people don't know about me.

  1. It took 3 towns to make up my High School.
  2. I love to take things apart and make them better. Closet handy-woman who owns a Dremel and lots of other power tools.
  3. I am a kitchen beautician. I have been doing my own hair for the better part of 20 years.
  4. I am an art supply hoarder. Everything from screen-printing to ceramics, photography, painting and so much more.
  5. I have a patent and a registered trademark for my graphic design biz.
  6. I am one of the very few Black Homecoming Queens for Clemson University. (I was the second or third in school history)
  7. My dream car is a 1958 corvette. Baby blue with white detail to be specific. The one pictured above, was spotted while on vacation with my husband. (I so need to learn how to drive a stick shift)

This lead me to think of all the other things people don't know about me. Then I realized, there are so many people that just don't know me! I have 977 friends to date on Facebook and but who really knows me. Well, really knows ALL about me.

My High School friends/classmates know the HS stuff, the college friends know the college stuff (cheer/sorority/BFAs), the National Cheerleader Association friends know the cheerleading stuff, my just-out-of-college-Dallas friends know all about that stuff, the grad school friends know the grad school stuff, my various co-workers know the things that happened in my life while I was at that job, my Atlanta Falcons Cheerleader teammates and friends know about that side of my life, my Atlanta art friends and neighbors know all about that, my military friends know about deployments and the Air Force life, my family knows about it in bits and pieces. My new friends in Georgia MOPS, Mil Spouses, gym, daycare and church friends are just getting to know me too.

It's kinda crazy how fragmented my life is and how little continuity there is. It makes my head spin a bit. But one thing for sure my sweet husband gets to see it all.

So here's a big secret that most people don't know about me.

I can be VERY insecure about my looks, my talents and my ability as an artist. I find it very hard to share my successes.  It makes me feel like I am bragging or adding labels to myself, ironically, before people get to know me!
  • So even if the topic is about dancing, I don't mention I was an Atlanta Falcons Cheerleader (One of the coolest things I have ever done). I say I used to do dance and I love Zumba.
  • Or if someone is talking about their child cheerleader, instead of saying I was an instructor for 10 years, worked in NCA's headquarters,  a national TV commentator, national judge,  a Head Instructor of the Year,  on college staff, performed in the Olympics Opening Ceremonies, and have friends in the Cheerleading Hall of Fame. I say I used to cheer and really loved it.
  • When someone mentions pageants or modeling. I don't mention that I have been a spokes-model, had my face on billboards, buses, websites and was a former swimsuit model. I just say that I have some experience with modeling.
  • When people say they like country music, I don't tell them that I danced on the Grand Ole Opry stage. I just say there is some country music that I really like too.
  • When people say they love ESPN, I don't tell them that I was in an ESPN/NFL commercial representing Atlanta. Or many of the other things that I can hardly believe that I have done myself. I just say yep, especially when Clemson is playing.
  • When people say they like art. I rarely mention that I am a Fine Artist! Isn't that crazy! I just have a hard time saying "Fine Artist". Sometimes I say I am a painter. So of course I get asked if I paint houses. Yikes!!! I don't tell them that I have sold work all over the country. That I have done numerous shows and commissions for a wide variety of galleries and clients. I have sold work to professional athletes, an award winning actor, scholars, business people, friends, family and the Atlanta Falcons own a painting of mine that was purchased for $3500 at auction. I just say I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree and a MS in Graphic Communications. Graphic Designer is so much easier to say.
But, when I describe myself in code, people don't really get to know all of me. And no, I don't have to tell these thing at first meeting, but it's sad when people learn more about me on Facebook then they do with me in person.

So, I am a work in progress. I am trying to own my story. Maybe I just need to pinch myself and carry on. Maybe I can break some of those cheerleader, artist, model, country music, pro dance sterotypes along the way too.


Be Blessed,
Kristye

kristye.com
dorilam.com
kdudley@dorilam.com
Purchase originals and prints

Popular Posts