A Mac Life

copyright Johnathan Mak

"Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important." - Steve Jobs

With the passing of Steve Jobs I am thinking about how Apple has been a part of my life. I was introduced to Apple by my father, a self described gadget man. He thought that Macintosh computers were the coolest thing he'd seen. He thought it was important that I learned how to use all sorts of computers including IBM, Texas Instruments, Commodore 64 and of course a Mac.

I remember jumping from one computer to the next to play games and draw in the applications. I always ended up on the Apple! My father also liked the culture of Mac and when he retired, he was the oldest member of his local Mac Group. A group of computer lovers who would get together and discuss tricks and what was new with products.

Now, I find myself writing on my iPad, working on a MacBook Pro, calling on an iPhone, and watching movies with AppleTV. I listened to the speech Steve Jobs gave at Stanford, and I found myself nodding my head and smiling at his optimism. His strength of self and faith reminds me that we all have the opportunity to do something more with this borrowed time that we have.

RIP Steve Jobs

Kristye


Popular Posts