Family Day

The Dudleys 2010 - Photo © Gene Ho Photography


Saturdays at the Dudley home are pretty low key. Mark likes to take KJ for a morning run in the jogging stroller and I get to enjoy a peaceful morning of painting, projects and maybe work out too. I look forward to this little bit of serenity all week. Ginger, our shy tabby cat and trusted art apprentice, keeps me company in between her naps in the sun. Yesterday started out to be another one of those mornings until...we realized we were out of one of KJ's prescriptions that she needed for the weekend.

My husband, who is a man of few words, says "Are you coming with us?". The way he said it was innocent and sweet, he was really saying "Don't stay at home and paint alone, spend the day with us!" I immediately felt terrible and told him "Of course, I will come."

Mother's guilt is an awful thing, trying to balance precious family time and time to replenish myself seems to be a ball I am constantly trying to balance. But I am so grateful to have such a understanding husband. Part of the replenishing also comes from the lovely people who you work so hard for all week.
Detail Commission in Progress © Kristye Addison Dudley

So after we refilled the prescription, we went to the farmer's market in town. I met other artists who were selling there and I enjoyed watching KJ cover herself in sticky sweet Geauxsicles - gourmet ice pops (everything here starts with "Geaux" instead of "Go"). Then we grabbed some food and it was nap time for KJ and Mark (who never takes naps). Now was the perfect time for me to PAINT!! I couldn't wait to get in the studio. Here is  a detail of the painting I am working on. I am using mainly a palette knife and I am expanding my colors a bit. I really like where it's going.

It turned out to be a beautiful family day. 
Kristye

Popular Posts